Australia's unclaimed money
Could some be yours?
This infographic explains how people lose track of their money
and how much unclaimed money is out there to be claimed.
Australia's unclaimed money - $1.1 billion dollars
Could some of it be yours?
Money waiting to be claimed
- NSW: $380m ($319m Sydney,
$14m Hunter, $1m Illawarra)
- VIC: $197m ($170m Melbourne, $5m Barwon, $4m
- QLD: $112m ($58m Brisbane,
$17m Gold Coast, $7m Far North)
- WA: $75m ($56m Perth, $4m South West,
$2m South East)
- ACT: $15m
- SA: $35m ($28m Adelaide, $1m South East, $1m
- TAS: $9m ($6m Hobart, $2m
- NT: $8m ($4.5m Darwin)
(The total figure of $1.1 billion includes approx. $146m where
the address is unknown and approx. $172m where the account
holder is not in Australia. All figures have been rounded and are
current as at December 2016.)
How do people lose track of their money?
- Move often (hard to track)
- Move overseas
- They just forget
Types of lost money
- Bank accounts - $617 million
- Shares - $451 million
- Life insurance - $81 million
on ASIC's MoneySmart to find unclaimed money.
Help your friends and family by sharing on Facebook and Twitter.
Last updated: 26 Apr 2017