Margin loan calculator
Estimated time: 5 mins
This calculator helps you work out:
- How the amount you borrow could affect your potential gains and
- The risk of a margin call
- How much money would you need to meet a margin call if markets
Please note: iPads and iPhones do not support Flash (as well as
some other mobile devices)
If you see this message:
- Flash may still be downloading, or
- Your browser may not have Flash installed (You
can download the latest version for free from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/),
- You are using an iPad or iPhone which does not support
The MoneySmart team is working towards replacing Flash on our
website so calculators will render across all devices.
About this calculator - disclaimer &
- This is a model not a prediction. Results are
only estimates, the actual amounts may be higher or lower. We
cannot predict things that will affect your decision such as
movements in investment markets.
- This calculator is not intended to be your sole source of
information when making a financial decision. You should consider
whether you should get advice from a licensed financial
- Refer to the "How it works" section within the calculator for
- You can save one or multiple versions of the calculations
within MoneySmart and retrieve them at a later date
- You can print your results
- You will need your margin loan product disclosure
- You will need Adobe
Margin loan calculator FAQs - frequently
Q. How do I retrieve a saved calculator?
A. To retrieve a saved calculator, go to the relevant calculator
and click on the "select saved calculator" dropdown menu
in the toolbar (see example below) and select your previously saved
calculator from the list.
If you are not already logged in you will be asked to login. After
entering your username or email and password, you will be able to
select any previously saved results.
Q. Do calculators save data automatically?
A. No, you will need to click on the "Save" icon if you wish to
save your budget.
Q. Why can't I see your calculators on my iPad or iPhone?
A. This calculator was built using Flash at a time when Flash
was accessible to the majority of internet users. Since then, iPads
and iPhones have become very popular and they do not support Flash
files. The MoneySmart team are recreating all our calculators in a
format that will be usable on all devices. Unfortunately, this
process will take a while, so stay tuned!
Q. Are there advanced settings I can change?
A. Yes, within the calculators that you can save, there are some
defaults and assumptions that you can adjust as required. These can
be found within the "How it works" or "Settings" sections.
Last updated: 26 Jul 2016