Simple ways to save money
Saving made easy
Making small changes in your life can fatten your savings and
help you budget better. Follow these tips to save more money.
Save on groceries
Here are some tips for saving money next time you're at the
- Take a list so you don't forget anything. Only buy what's on
the list. This makes it easier to stick to your budget.
- Put your grocery money in an envelope. Don't take any other
cash or cards with you so you can only spend what you have.
- Buy in bulk and only go grocery shopping once a fortnight. Use
all the food in your pantry before you buy more.
- Eat a meal or snack before you go to the supermarket. When you
are not hungry, you tend to buy less food.
Use our budget planner to help you save.
study: Nadia's chocolate choice
Nadia loves chocolate but knows it is bad for her. She decides
to stop eating chocolate for 30 days as a health challenge. A month
later, she not only feels much healthier but has also saved over
Here's how you can save money and do your bit for the
- Buy energy efficient appliances - download the
Energy Rating App to see the running costs
- Switch off your heater, air-conditioner and lights in
rooms you're not using
- Keep your curtains or blinds drawn at night to
keep the heat in
- Use a door snake under the door
- Turn off the heater and put on jumper
- Turn off your electrical appliances at the powerpoint
- Turn off the TV and computer when no-one is using it
- Use energy efficient light bulbs
- Turn on the washing machine and the dishwasher only when they
- Have 2 minute showers
- Use grey water from your washing machine or shower to water
- Install a water efficient shower head
- Wash clothes with cold water
To compare energy offers visit the Australian Government's Energy Made
For tips on saving power visit the Australian
Energy Savings website.
Save money with a friend
It can be harder to save money when the people around you are
keen to spend. Try and find a friend who also wants to save money.
You can share tips, enjoy cheap nights out and borrow from each
other rather than buy new things. You could even have a competition
to see who saves the most money over a set time.
Save on clothes and other
With fashion changing every season, you don't really need to buy
new clothes all the time:
- If you're buying clothes, check if you can wash them to avoid
dry cleaning bills
- If you buy something, make sure it goes with at least two other
things in your wardrobe so you can get a few different outfits out
of one item
- Check op-shops and local markets for bargains
- Ask your neighbours, friends or family if you can borrow tools
or gardening equipment, rather than buy new items
Save on your wedding
Weddings are expensive but there are lots of ways you can cut
costs. See our webpage cheap wedding ideas.
Save on your holiday
Holidays don't have to break the bank. There are some easy
things to can do to cut holiday costs. See our webpage cheap holiday
Save on bank fees
Some financial institutions offer basic bank accounts with:
- No account keeping fees
- Free monthly statements
- No minimum deposit amounts
- No overdrawn fees
You can find which financial institutions offer these basic bank
accounts on the Australian Bankers' Association's Affordable Banking
Change one habit and save
Small changes can make a big difference to your bank balance.
Change one thing you do regularly and you could save money. Some
- Give up drinking coffee or cut down on alcohol - it may sound
scary but it will save you money and can have health benefits
- Cancel your gym membership and walk to work instead
- Make your lunch at home
- Have people over for dinner rather than going out and ask
everyone to bring a plate of food
- Borrow books and DVDs from the library
- Lock up your credit card for a month and only pay for things
- Get into the habit of checking your bank
- Set a limit for birthday and Christmas presents or give
Savings goals calculator
Try the Saver Plus Program
Saver Plus helps families on low incomes develop a savings habit
and improve financial skills. Saver Plus can help you set a savings
goal and help you reach it.
When you reach your goal, your savings are matched, dollar for
dollar, up to $500. Find out more about Saver Plus.
It's easy to save money by cutting out or
reducing some things you buy. Try one or two of these money-saving
tips and watch your savings grow.
Last updated: 02 Mar 2016